Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We love pie

We have a huge box of apples that are about to go to waste so I decided I needed to make something with them. I decided to make some apple pie, I have never made apple pie before so I was excited to try. It was so yummy! I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and I changed it a little to what the reviewers were saying. So here you go!


Aunt Bev's Famous Apple Pie

From: Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:

7 tart apples peeled and cored (I didn't use tart apples)

1 cup white sugar (I put half white half brown sugar)

1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, or to taste (I put 2 tsp)

2 tbsp all purpose flour (I put 3 tbsp of flour and 3 tbsp of corn starch, made it so it wasn't runny)

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I put 3/4 tsp)

salt to taste (I forgot the salt and it was still was good)

2 unbaked pie shells

1 tablespoon butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cut apples into 1/4 inch slices. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, flour, corn starch, nutmeg, and salt; mix thoroughly. Pour the spice mix over the apples and stir until apples are coated. Line one crust in a 9 inch pie pan. A reviewer told me to brush on egg whites on the crust before you put the apples in, it helps so it doesnt get soggy. Place apples in the pie crust. Dot the apple filling evenly with butter. Fit the top crust over the apples. Press the crust down gently and cut 3 or 4 slits in the top. I also brushed egg whites on the top and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Check pie after 30 min of cooking: if the crust is already browned reduce the heat to 350 to allow apples to cook without the crust burning.

A reviewer also suggested to preheat a baking stone and cook pie on that so the dough can cook at the bottom all the way.

Thanks to Braeden for cutting all the apples and doing a lot of the work. I just told him what to do :)

I still have lots of apples so I will probably make another one!

This is Braeden's sweet potato pie he made a few days ago and it was surprisingly good! It was very similar to pumpkin pie.


4 comments:

J Fo said...

I am totally impressed. Baking pies AND going to school. When I was in school I could hardly talk myself into making mac and cheese! I think you should make another apple and share the love with some cousins!! :)

Casseron said...

I totally agree with Jess!! Share the love!! haha

Jess said...

you guys and your pies. Haha, I rhymed. Jo-Jo is doing much better by the way. Miss you guys!

Brooke said...

Those pies look SO yummy!

Can't believe your hubs made that pumpkin pie. I would DIE if mine did. How awesome is he!